Digging into CurlyQ

I’m digging curlyq so far. Is this Mac-only or could it run on a Linux server? Does it require a GUI (to launch Firefox for instance)?

It should be cross-platform, but untested at this point. The scrape functionality only depends on having the requested browser (Chrome or Firefox) installed on the machine, but should be platform-agnostic.

Realizing I didn’t directly answer this part of the question. I honestly don’t know. When the scrape or screenshot commands run they actually pop up a browser window, so it’s not completely “headless.” I might at some point look into something more like Phantom that could do Chromium rendering without a window. For now I would guess that yes, a GUI is required for those particular commands (but none of the others), though I haven’t tested it out.

1 Like

CurlyQ was devised as web scraper specific for macOS, though being able to run it on Linux servers was not forgotten during its creation. It can do the job without a lot of graphic user interface (GUI) accouterment, especially when it’s running on a server command line environment. You can start Firefox without the GUI (Graphical User Interface) – meaning it works without the need for graphics; so it runs on servers without graphical user interfaces. Then you will be able to run the command as sudo under a shell on a Linux server (without using any GUI).

1 Like