No Cheaters discussion?

SL  2024-03-29 at 23.25.33

I’m following the Readme.md after downloading ttscoff-cheaters-2.1.2-2-gf322e58 , Created a new folder ‘cheaters’ in sync folder and created the app in Automator.

The result wasnt what I expected. index.html in /Users/[myusername]/Creative Cloud Files/Cheaters/index.html goes to the instruction page like the readme file and the instructions on GitHub and your website.

I set up the app with the other index.html-like html files and they show the menu up top but no content. I was expecting something more like index-example.html where I get what I expected:

The keyboard shortcuts work, however there’s a system-beep every press; the cheat sheets all load fine. Even search works…

I must have got something wrong. Aren’t the actual cheatsheets supposed to open from the index.html file in the top directory? And maybe this has something to do with it "To add a new sheet to the menu (or remove/rearrange existing sheets), just edit the unordered list in the #nav ul” ? And how do I edit the menu anyway?

Thanks

For anyone curious, @stujumpsrope and I have been corresponding by email. I’ve uploaded a fix that prevents system beep when using bound shortcuts in things like a Shortcuts Web View or a BetterTouchTool HTML window.

The file structure for the downloaded contains the actual cheaters code in the /cheaters/ subdirectory. Editing index_local.html is how you would add a new cheatsheet that exists in /cheaters/cheatsheets/. The cheatsheet you add should not contain any style information, or html/body tags, only the content to be shown within the index page.

Thanks for the reference to cheaters. I use just a handful of notes as cheat sheets, but this looks like a nice lightweight solution. I might only need 10 cheat sheets to memorise new keyboard shortcuts or my new keyword structure.

1 Like

My Cheaters integration is up and running, Thanks to @ttscoff’s help and update.

It’s a fine little tool! The fast switching is great and hotkey navigation is great, and the cheatsheets themselves are easy to make. (I write up tables in Bear and copy/Paste Tables as markdown straight into textedit and save as .md files)

App specific cheatsheets appear thanks to Better Touch Tool’s Floating Menus / Web View. They even disappear when I switch apps and move round with the app window. I want the Webview to update to whatever app is active, but I can’t get it to update with the url scheme and hash matching. So calling a 'Freeform" cheatsheet within Cheaters in a HTML window using
http://localhost:1234///cheaters-master/cheaters/index_local.html#freeform doesn’t load in BTT. I have to make seperate Webviews for any app I want a specific cheatsheet for. I did, however, get the JavaScript action to work which selects the cheatsheet, but results weren’t always consistent. The feature is part of Better Touch Tool’s options. I’ll keep playing and see if I can get it to work.

Oh, I had this question throughout the whole process of this little project and yes, it has to be run from a web server, which I had no idea what that meant until recently. Again, BTT provides this function so I don’t have to run a python command through terminal every time I want to use Cheaters. I didn’t get why I needed a web server at the beginning of this and now I know.

Thanks for the tool Brett and I hope others who want to do a similar thing might reawaken this little app.

Oh, that’s really cool. I’d have to dig in and see why the hash urls aren’t working right. But the idea of app-specific cheat sheets that follow a window around is very cool. Inspiration!

To be specific, the # works fine in a web browser, just not in Better Touch Tool, so I wouldn’t loose sleep over it. I might cross-post to their forum and ask BTT community.

Interesting. I might be able to set it up to use paths instead of fragments, but that would be highly dependent on the web server. If you cross post, ask what kind of web server BTT uses to serve on localhost (Apache, nginx, etc.). That’s assuming it does launch a server of some sort… I love BTT but have never played with that functionality.

Crossposted to BTT and the dev replied:

Apache or nginx would be way overkill :wink: It’s a super simple embedded webserver. I’ll check whether I can add support for hash urls there.

What a legend